We are working alongside Suffolk County Council to develop additional specialist education places in our schools.
Students at Thomas Gainsborough School, Haverhill Community Sixth Form and St Edward's Academy have today picked up their A-level results.
Here is the reaction from each of those schools.
Thomas Gainsborough School
Thomas Gainsborough School is celebrating the success and hard work of its A-level students.
Over 90 students sat A-level and other Level 3 qualifications this summer with 15% of all A-level entries this year either A* or A and 32 % of vocational subjects being graded Distinction* or Distinction.
The overall pass rate at the school was 98%, with an A*-C pass rate of 67%.
Headteacher Wayne Lloyd said: “Once again, we are encouraged by the progress our students made with these results. This demonstrates our ongoing commitment to the young people of this area, through the high quality teaching and excellent support that the school has provided them with.”
Kenny Alexander, Director of Sixth Form at Thomas Gainsborough, added: “These results will open many doors to the young people who have worked so hard to achieve them.
"We wish the students all the very best for the next phase of their lives, be that university, college, apprenticeships or employment.”
A-level results of particular note included Reece Brooking, Francesca Perkins-Taylor, Peter Rose, Harry Dixon and Teia Yule among others. Reece achieved A*, A*, A (Further Maths, Maths and Physics), Francesca A*, A, A, A* (Religious Studies, History, Maths and EPQ ), Peter A*, A, A ( Maths, Further Maths and Physics), Harry A*, A, A (Maths, Further Maths and Physics) and Teia A, B, B, A* (Law, Spanish, History and EPQ).
Reece is now going to study Mathematics at Essex University, Francesca is going to St Andrews University to study Philosophy, Peter is going on to study Maths at Manchester University, Harry is going to study Theoretical Physics at Bristol University and Teia is going to study Law at Liverpool University.
Haverhill Community Sixth Form
Students and staff at the Haverhill Community Sixth Form are celebrating the second consecutive year of rising A-level results.
The percentage of the highest grades, A* and A at A-level and Distinction* in Btec, has risen for the second year running to 38%. Nearly 60% of results were A* to B or Distinction* to Distinction while the overall pass rate is 98%.
Headteacher Andy Hunter said: “I am really delighted for all the students who worked so hard to meet their university offers and have found out this morning, after months of waiting, that they have got the place they deserve.
“This year was a fresh start for Haverhill Community Sixth Form, under the leadership of Daisy Hopkins and her team, and I know that they are very proud of the results the students have achieved.”
Head of Sixth Form, Daisy Hopkins, said: “These results are testament not only to the hard work of the students but also the dedication and expertise of the teachers. I’m looking forward to welcoming our new intake of Year 12 students from across Haverhill on Friday 23rd August at our enrolment day.”
Students are going on to follow courses ranging from astrophysics and medicine to nursing and accounting. Their destinations include both Oxford and Cambridge, Durham, Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick and Bath.
St Edward's Academy
Once again, it’s been a successful year for St Edward’s Academy sixth form students following the release of the A-level results.
Notable success stories at St Edward’s include Shiloni Osuchukwu, Sam Brown, Rachel Higgins, Jason Quang, Mason Scott and Aaron Stevens who all achieved AAA or AAB in their A-levels.
Shiloni achieved three straight ‘A’ grades in politics, religious studies and sociology. She now has a big decision to make – whether to take up the offer of a place at Nottingham University or to go to Cambridge to study law.
Our students will continue their studies in a variety of universities including Russell Group:
- Joe Walker, Philosophy and Theology at Durham on a scholarship (as one of Britain’s rising stars in international table tennis)
- Kymaty Amoaka-Boateng, Criminology at Durham University
- Hannah Allen, History, University of East Anglia UEA
- Sam Brown, History at Sussex
- Yolanda Bruce, Criminal Justice at University of Hertfordshire
- Alice Kelly, Law at Warwick
- Naomi Ssempa, History at Kent
- Aaron Stevens, Law at Nottingham
Students have achieved excellent results in the facilitating subjects including over a quarter of students achieving an A grade or above in Maths. Congratulations go to Joseph Afolabi, Joe Crossley, Rachel Higgins, Theo Moore-Calters and Jason Quang who achieved top grades.